Thursday, August 11, 2011

The First Visit

I have to admit that I was anxious about the first visit of Poppy and Grammy. I was hopeful that Vanessa would bond with them, but the uncertainty of it all created endless butterflies in my stomach. I wanted so badly for it to be a memorable time for everyone, especially considering all that had happened to make this moment a reality.

Aaron's parents do not have any grandchildren. They have been waiting for what seems like an eternity. Three years ago when we told them that we were going to have a child, they were beyond ecstatic. After our world came crashing down, in the midst of grief, I feared that their hope for grandchildren had been lost. It broke my heart to think that we had not been able to share the joy of children with them. Sometimes I would see a proud grandmother with a brag book and I would hurt so deeply for them, knowing that they were so close to bearing the cherished title of grandparents. For this reason, I wanted the time with Vanessa to be special...meaningful.

Initially, we were uncertain how they would feel about Vanessa joining our family, but knew that in God's plan, He would work all things together for his good (Romans 8:28). Despite my anxiety and doubt, He did.

To see them laughing together while ice cream (that Poppy bought her) dripped from her chin, seeing her smile with pride while showing Grammy her gymnastics moves, hearing her giggle as they were splashing each other in the pool, was worth the years of seemingly endless waiting, and heartache. When I saw the tears in Grammy and Poppy's eyes as they hugged Vanessa goodbye, I knew that biology no longer mattered ...they could now have a priceless picture of their grandaughter for everyone to see.

Lamentations 3:25
The Lord is good to those who hope in Him; to the one who seeks Him.

3 comments:

  1. So glad the visit went so well!! Of course it did!!! I was just at my mom's and saw the picture of Vanessa - she is absolutely beautiful and looks like she is just full of life!!! Hope things continue to go well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Becky! So very glad the visit went well. While I am sure we grandparents will make many mistakes, we love our children and grandbabies,regardless of biology! Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet...made me cry reading this. I'm just so excited for you guys...what an awesome gift from God.

    ReplyDelete